I've been thinking of the N*h Al*m Sh*h incident having watched it on youtube and read about the incident on the papers, I can't help but link this incident with another incident that happened years ago when Eric C*ntona famously kungfu-kicked a Crystal palace fan and was slapped with a ban for 7 months. He was also told to do some community hours for the assault.
Sure, D*niel Bennett must have said some real nasty things and adrenaline might have gotten the better of him. But going berserk and assaulting Bennett not once, not twice but thrice in what could have snapped his neck and easily ended his career and maybe even his life in front of national television and millions of netizens over youtube. I applaud the FA for the punishment and in the end, I think common sense prevailed. Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of local football as well as Al*m Sh*h and I loved it when he scored 7 goals past Laos and cursed beneath my breath when he didn't sign for Notts county. What a prospect that would have been, the first Singaporean playing in England.
But in the end, a one year ban is the verdict.
I believe that being a professional footballer is more than playing football for a living. Dictionary.com gave me a few definitions for the word professional.
1)a person who earns a living in a sport or other occupation frequently engaged in by amateurs: a golf professional.
2)
1. Of, relating to, engaged in, or suitable for a profession: lawyers, doctors, and other professional people.
2. Conforming to the standards of a profession: professional behavior.
Playing in front of thousands of fans is more than simply scoring goals, it also entails the sportsmanship, friendship and a spirit of bettering my opponent with the speed of my foot and the strength of my body. Not battering my opponent to the ground bleeding and begging for mercy.
It is my hope that Al*m Sh*h reflects on his actions and that he comes to the realisation that being a professional means that kids who idolise him are watching and his family depends on him being on that field doing what he does best, scoring goals.
Who knows, maybe in a year, Al*m Sh*h could be back and who knows, he could lead tampines or his club to Asian Champions League glory or even Singapore to the world cup, just like how C*ntona did for united and what a comeback that was. What a fairy tale that would be.
Wednesday, December 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment