Sunday, October 28, 2007

Take a bow

This really is old news, but as I started flipping through some of the papers from a couple of days back, I came across this article featuring Ryan giggs, my favourite player and probably the reason why I'm a united fan.
I started playing football only after watching the Ryan Giggs soccer skills, a show where giggsy and Bobby charlton teach kids how to play football.
Anyway 17 years and 9 league titles later, Giggsy's career is still very much alive. He may not be the speed demon he was before, but his game has evolved and now he is the intelligent player who relies on a brilliant footballing brain more than physical speed.
United CEO David Gill remarked that negotiations with Giggs was one of the easiest to conduct and this is surely a testament to a player who has spent his entire career in one club. In the modern footballing world of mega bucks and club changing, we often see players transferring clubs in the most acrimonious fashion. Giggs and few others like del piero, raul, xavi, gary neville and steven gerrard are true professionals to the game and loyal servants to their clubs.
I'm quite sure Giggsy will surpass Bobby charlton's record sooner or later and he has been a true ambassador not just to united but to the game, where values and professionalism are sorely missing on the pitch and off these days.
Take a bow, giggsy. You have been fantastic.

No comments: